Starting Your Business

If you are considering starting a business in North Plains here is some basic information that you should be aware of:

Oregon Business Guide 

The State of Oregon offers the Business Wizard which can assistant you with determining what permits you may need from the State as well as finance resources that may be available to you.

The State of Oregon Starting a Business Guide combines information and regulations from six state agencies into one document to simplify the process of starting a business in Oregon. This guide covers information on:

  • Registering a business name
  • Setting up a business structure
  • Permits
  • Federal ID numbers
  • Workers compensation
  • To receive a free copy call the Oregon Corporation Division at 503.986.2200 or visit this link

Information and forms for filing to become a corporation is available at

Business Zoning

Please contact the City of North Plains at 503.647.5555 to determine if your business type is allowed within the existing zoning designation.  Generally, there are three types of zoning: residential (R7.5, R5, R2.5, NC), commercial (C1 and C2), and industrial (M1 and M2).

City Business License

The City of North Plains requires business licenses for all business operating within the City limits. To obtain an annual license complete the application and submit the fee. For more information call 503.647.5555.

Food Service/Restaurant Industry

Washington County Department of Health& Human Services regulates the Food Service and Restaurant industry for the county.  This department provides information on health procedures, bed and breakfast licensing and the Department of Health and Human Services also conducts food handlers testing programs, restaurant inspections, and food service plan reviews. Contact the Health & Human Services Department at 503.846.8722 or

Construction and Landscape Contractor’s Business License

If your business is located in North Plains, a city license is required. For more information call 503.647.5555.

In addition, Metro, the neighboring area’s regional government, offers a single license, which allows contractors to do business within 20 different cities. It covers all construction trades, commercial, residential, and landscape contractors.  Qualified applicants pay a non–refundable fee and the license is valid for 12 months.  Applications and additional information can be obtained at Metro by calling 503.797.1620 or online at http://www.metro–

Home Occupation Permit

The City of North Plains requires most home–based businesses to obtain a Home Occupation permit.  The permit process requires completion of an application form and approval by the City Manager.  Permits are valid as long as an active City business license is maintained, providing the home occupation continues to comply with City zoning ordinances and any conditions of approval attached to the permit.

For questions or an application, contact the City at 503.647.5555.

Business Income Tax

There is no business income tax in the City of North Plains or Washington County. All businesses are responsible for meeting tax obligations to the state and federal government. Please contact the State of Oregon at and the U.S. Internal Revenue Service at

Personal Property Tax

All businesses are required to file an annual personal property tax report with Washington County assessor’s office. The report should include all personal property on the business premises at the assessment date as well as property placed in storage or held for sale. For information, contact the Washington County Assessment and Taxation Department at 503.846.8741 or

Federal Taxes

All businesses, except certain sole–proprietors, are required to obtain a federally issued Employer Identification Number (EIN). This process is mandatory for all employers.  Contact the IRS at 800.829.1040 or  

State Taxes

Employers are required to file a Combined Employer’s Registration form with the Oregon Department of Revenue to obtain a Business Identification Number (BIN). This BIN is used to report and pay payroll taxes and assessments administered by the Oregon Department of Revenue. Contact the Department at 503.945.8091 or